Working with a Tablet
Here is an image with a hand drawn frame.
This was fairly easy to make in Photoshop if you have a tablet.
1. Open a new file to your desired size (I chose 4″ wide and 6″ tall at 240 dpi and CMYK mode because I plan to use these as templates for portraits that will be printed out).
2. Create a new layer and draw your frame (here is where the tablet really helps).
3. Select the magic wand and click in the center of your frame, then inverse. Click with the ALT/OPTION key down to deselect the outer edge and any space between the drawn frame.
4. Create a new layer and fill it with white
5. Back on the Drawn Frame layer, clear the selection and select just the center. Create a new layer and fill with black. [Final layers order top to bottom is Frame, Black-Layer, White-Layer, Background]
Save here if you want this to be a template.
Now bring in any image you want (adjust and resize as needed). Put it just above the Black Layer. Then hold down the ALT/OPTION key and mouse to the line between the image layer and Black layer (the icon will change). Click and this will clip the image to the black center.
Fill the White Layer with the frame color desired, Fill the background if you wish.